Crohn’s is a disease of the intestines that causes severe symptoms of pain, diarrhea, and fatigue. While there is no cure for Crohn’s, many people experience periods of remission. These times in a Crohn’s sufferer’s life are truly what they live for, and it is the goal of all medical treatments for this disease.
Crohn’s remission is a stage in which the disease is not active. Inflammation in the intestines stops causing painful damage to the bowel and colon because the immune system is working correctly. There is no “rhyme or reason” as to when or why Crohn’s remission occurs, but when it does, sufferers can experience a whole new life.
When Crohn’s is in remission, you will likely notice these signs:
- Diarrhea, pain, and fatigue will diminish.
- Blood tests will show normal inflammation levels.
- Lesions in the bowel or colon begin to heal.
- The Crohn’s disease activity index (CDAI) score may be below 150
- Your entire quality of life will improve.
Remission of Crohn’s disease is not a cure. Most people with this disease will experience times of remission and relapses. Remission is what sufferers of Crohn’s live for every day – the hope of feeling well, if only for a few weeks at a time.
There is not a particular pattern for remission and relapse. Flare-ups can last for weeks or months at a time, followed by a period of remission for any length of time. About 15% of patients have long-term remission after the first flare-up, while the other 85% experience shorter remission time spans.
Once in remission, patients need to continue following their treatment plan. Medications should only be stopped during this remission time if your doctor allows it. Each patient’s treatment plan is based upon what type of damage is in the intestines, where the damage is located, and what symptoms the patient has. There is no one-size-fits-all treatment for Crohn’s, and you must work with your doctor throughout all phases of this disease.
For excellence in treatment and care of Crohn’s disease, contact the practice of Dr. Yamini. Here you will find relief from the pain and discomfort of this condition.
Posted on behalf of